Sunday, June 26, 2011

Panama Update #2

Yesterday I spent some time on an island where I haven't been working much recently, Isla Solarte.  The island is small and very charming.  There's a number of houses of varying sizes surrounding the coast, and the interior still has some nice forest.  


The name of this location is hospital point, a reminder of the past use of the land.  



The forest here is very wet with a small stream and some marshy area.  Large trees still remain and bright orange frogs are abundant.  


As I've mentioned before, I'm very fond of Marcgravia species.  I really love how they grow flat, hugging the tree.  They also have a nice textured leaf, and look great combined with moss.  Here's a fantastic example of how they look in the wild when grown in thick.




I also saw some very interesting beetles that I haven't seen in some time.  These are giant harlequin beetles, Acrocinus longimanus, that I saw on a tree.  








Enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. Hi I'm the guy that was just messaging you on messenger. Thanks for your quick replies. You do pretty good work. Although I can't see the pictures. Lol

    ReplyDelete